Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Sunday




It's not even summer and the mosquitoes are out. I killed at least 7 from midnight to 4am last night and I still got ate up. It's crazy - they are brutal too - I have bites all over me. It seems that all the girls here are get eaten up, but the guys never do. Or, maybe they just don't talk about it as much. The bad thing is, the walls in my room are white, so you can imagine all the mosquitoe marks on the wall.

Besides the mosquitoes, I have to report that I have finally heard the "incoming" alarm. If you have seen the news at all, you know that we got blasted today. I heard the first of it this morning around 0615. It seemed like it was very close and it I have to say my heart started beating quickly, but the Villa really is the safest place to be. We heard later that the Embassy was the target and considering it is approx 2 miles from us, the blasts must have been amazingly loud at the Embassy.

I didn't really know what had happened when I got up though, and I had some meetings at the Embassy this morning, so I went to my meetings and then arranged to go to church with two of the other girls that work with me. We were sitting in the service about 10 minutes into it and we heard 3 large blasts and the incoming alarm. Everyone in the service ran out of the bldg and into the bunkers right outside. We were in there for about 15 minutes before we got the all clear sign. Needless to say I didn't stick around the Embassy after that.

People who have been here for a while say that they holidays are always the worst. They really target us on Holidays. I have to say, I didn't think anything about it.

So, now I can say that I didn't sleep through the mortars for once. If I could get rid of the mosquitoes, maybe I could!!

Oh, we played volleyball and had a cookout last Thurs. It was so much fun - we had about 30 people total. I hope that we can do that again soon, before it gets too hot. Right now the weather is about 90 during the day and mid 70's or more at night.

2 comments:

cindy said...

Hey Pam. Just thought I'd get in touch. The kids enjoyed seeing your pictures. Hugs from all of us...Cindy, Budd, Lily, Bjorn, & Lars

Anonymous said...

Glad you're safe!!