Wednesday, January 9, 2008

09Jan08

Well, we are getting into a rhythm of work now which is good. I think it’s much better to be busy here. Surprisingly, we have most all the comforts of home, there is access to the internet, some American tv and tons of food. Everywhere you go they have a dining facility (DFAC). It is possible to make healthy choices, so that’s what I am trying to do. Haven’t had a chance to get to the gym yet, transportation is still an issue as well as finding time. I have heard that we are getting a few gym pieces here in our villa, so that will be awesome. I was just told that I am moving back into my old room and they have the heating and water situation worked out. I find that hard to believe, but I have no choice in the matter and people are not sympathetic to your situation as they have been there themselves, so I may have to get some warmer cloths.

General observations and random info:
*It is quiet here in the villa and in the Green Zone in general – not what I was expecting.
*The Embassy (Old Palace) is fascinating; there are so many organizations there. The state department people dress up, some men wear bow ties with their suits, and women wear skirts. Luckily I am in khakis and sweaters, I hope it stays that way – I prefer casual.
*You cannot put toilet paper down the toilets in the villa as it will clog the plumbing, so you have to put it in the trash, just imagine!
*It is cold here, sunny but cold – the weather says it’s supposed to snow here today, I don’t think that will happen though.

No comments: