Friday, January 11, 2008

11Jan08

Today was a big day. My only job here is to gather information and put it into presentations for dissemination. Today we briefed the General – General Petraeus. I stayed up until 11pm working on the slides and was pretty nervous about it and I wasn’t even briefing. He was actually on video, so I didn’t see him in real life, but it was fascinating to observe the entire process. There is a lot going on here for sure. Ours was a good news story as we have closed the deal on privatizing a cement factory and that will be the first privatized company in Iraq. A major feat when you consider all the factors, and there are several more in the works.

We are averaging 14-15 hour days right now. Everyone says this is how it will be with no days off. I know that a lot of people over here have these hours – it’s pretty brutal. It’s making my three jobs back home seem like a walk in the park J

I found a desk today to work from –it’s quiet, comfortable and has an ergonomic keyboard - perfect! Right after I got all settled in a guy comes over with his boss and they start talking around me like I’m invisible - about how the guy is going to move into the cube tomorrow. Good news is he is going on leave for three weeks, so I can work here while he’s gone.

I am getting assigned new living quarters as well, so I will be curious to see what number 3 in 5 days is like. I do know that I have to make the long march in the middle of the night to an outside bathroom, so that isn’t so great, but I think it has internet access which is a plus!!

Big news today was that it snowed!! I came out at 0700 to go to work and it was snowing HUGE snowflakes. It didn’t last long and continued to rain, but they were saying that it’s quite unusual to get snow here.

Well, the galley is dangerous. I will tell you more about it later, but I just have to say that my stomach is a little shaky right now. Lucky I brought he immodium.

Keep your comments coming - I like to read them!!

4 comments:

Sandy said...

This would explain why I haven't seen you in years - you're half a world away - again!!! Hi Pam, how's it going?!?

WCK said...

Sorry to hear my prediction about the bathroom came true. No snow here in MD. We are enjoying temperatures in the 50's. Demetra is still trying to whip us into shape but she is not making a whole lot of progress. Your work schedule sounds very challenging. You ought to look into joining a union. Have a great day.
Bill

WCK said...

Looking for Pam. Didn't see anything new for the last couple days. Are you on probation?

MM said...

They say its so dangerous in Iraq that it makes a journey to the back streets of down town Detroit seem like an enchanted walk to savour.
Is it true there that the Iraqi’s are so rough, that they don’t have (in their vocabulary) an equivalent to the word ‘fluffy’!

Miss you lurv!

Moreas Madani King of all things fluffy!